Choosing the best mobile phone of the year is not going to be easy. In 2018, the excellent smartphones abound and present their candidacy with a performance of a high level in almost all cases. All the phones that have something to say this year to be chosen as the best have already gone through our test table.
If you are looking for the best phone in the market, and want to know what are the ones you can already buy, take note of the analysis, which we have summarized with your notes and videos that will help us choose the best phone at the end of the year of 2018.
A pretty tight price for what it offers. The OnePlus 6 meets the level of performance, screen and especially design and operating system. Perhaps camera and autonomy are on the “improvable” side, but we can never lose sight of the price at which it is offered.
- Design and construction: good materials and finishes very fashionable and attractive.
- The screen meets all levels, without reaching high resolutions.
- The fluidity is a delight, chapeau.
- The sound is mediocre: metallic and with very low bass.
- Facial recognition has room for improvement, for example acting with inactive screen or environment.
- The glass seems resistant to shock, but scratches easily.
Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact
The most different of all the best telephone numbers of the year is its size. The Xperia XZ2 Compact is the only smartphone this year that we can consider as compact, although its advantage is not so much for its frames, weight and thickness somewhat high. But at the level of power, screen and even camera, very well.
- Finally being the Compact of the range does not mean reduction of performance or power
- Sony has definitely taken a good pace with its main camera
- Quality screen enhanced by its more compact size
- In such a compact size there is a large adaptation curve with the rear fingerprint reader
- Thick and heavy phone as we have not seen for a long time
- Why then remove the 3.5 mm port for audio?
HTC U11 Plus
The big cap of the year is HTC’s flagship model so far. The HTC U11 Plus stands out for its camera as well as power and design. They remind us of a Google Pixel 2, which already means a lot.
- A striking design
- General quality of the camera
- Performance and optimization of the software layer on Android 8.0
- 128 GB internal memory
- Considerable size especially in weight and thickness
- Only correct battery for the figures it handles
- Screen with insufficient brightness for a high-end in 2018
- No portrait mode or double sensor in the camera
By surprise, the LG G7 will accompany the LG V30 + as an LG candidate for the best phone of the year throne. Your design, the creative camera and good software are on your side.
- From the best of the market in design and management
- Improvements in the wide-angle camera and add the portrait mode raise the level of the photo highlight in manual controls and video mode
- The best sound on a mobile phone
- Sparse battery for diagonal and screen technology
- In low light conditions the camera is below the best
- The AI is still more marketing than something useful
Continue Reading: What we can do and what good is having 8GB of RAM in the mobile?
Few brands can boast of having two of their new phones among the best of the year. Huawei has done it thanks to its basic P20, which does not have a triple camera but offers a performance, design and double camera of very high level, as you can read in our full analysis.
- Overall quality of the screen even outdoors
- A competent and creative camera
- Very well built, lightweight and manageable
- Improvable camera application in some options
- Layer on Android loaded at the visual level and Huawei own options
- Very fair autonomy for a high-end
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2s
Waiting for the renewal of its reference model, Xiaomi leaves us in the market an evolution of one of its successes of last year: the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2s. Renovated inside and with the same frameless design that is still a reference in the market, its camera, which is new, is its most outstanding element and for which it is worth investing in it.
- The improvement of the camera is remarkable, especially in photos with low light.
- The design is still a benchmark in compaction.
- Experience of fluid use thanks to a very ambitious configuration.
- The position of the front camera benefits the design, but it is uncomfortable.
- Some AI functions will not leave China.
- The x2 zoom has room for improvement.
Samsung Galaxy S9 +
A classic that does not miss any list of best phones of the year is the Samsung Galaxy S9 + . The version we analyze on this occasion is again the largest, with a large screen but a frameless design that is already recognizable. The most interesting of his record this year is in the camera, which is double at last, and the reinforced power of each year.
- The design and construction: the aesthetics and the quality of the materials are superior, and it has IP68 resistance certification to dust and water.
- The screen, good general experience and customization options.
- Waste of power without heating.
- The camera has many options and gives good results in general.
- The software seems to be ending, there are some specific errors.
- The double camera has not meant a turning point or a notable change in the experience with respect to the previous.
- The battery is not bad, but it may be too short for intensive users.
Huawei P20 Pro
We do not know if the triple camera of the Huawei P20 Pro will create a school but for the moment the Asian firm has served to be at the top of the photographic comparatives and especially in the mouth of all those who speak of better mobile phones this year. The triple camera system and its zoom mark the path of a terminal that cannot remain power, great design or global benefits.
- The autonomy allows for more than a day except for very, very intensive uses.
- The camera gives many options and the hybrid zoom is possibly the best mobile phone currently.
- Very well built and it does not become heavy for the size it has.
- The camera app is quite improvable at the navigation level. There is also some operational error that we have seen in the past.
- EMUI is an aggressive layer aesthetically and with content and probably heavy. There are plenty of pre-installed apps and in some aspects hardly allows customization.
- The recording in super slow motion could improve at the level of quality and also of the app.
Sony Xperia XZ2
The Sony Mobile star model before the arrival of the Premium version has enough arguments for you to take it into account if the renewed design and with fewer frames is what you are looking for. In the Sony Xperia XZ2 premium the quality of your screen, the resolution of the camera or sound.
- The screen complies with resolution and we can adjust it in many aspects thanks to the software.
- There are many adjustment options for audio and this one complies with volume and quality.
- The front is much better used.
- The camera is not bad, but still does not meet expectations.
- It is very large and heavy, and the position of the reader could improve.
- Not having an audio jack does not bring any advantage to the experience and it can be penalized.
LG V30S +
The highest level version of the LG V30S that we tested showed us that LG’s different phone family has already reached a total maturity that allows it to rub shoulders with the best phones of 2018. Its camera, the design (of the best of the market today) and very especially the quality of sound are his arguments to convince us.
- By finish, details and dimensions, the best in design
- Creativity that we can achieve with the camera in both photo and video
- The best sound on a mobile phone
- Just battery for a phablet
- Camera still improvable in low light and in dynamic range
- The AI does not make a difference for now
The rare avis of the current high-end market is represented by an unexpected guest: the BlackBerry Keyone terminal. Needless to say, its differential value is in the physical keyboard that Blackberry has included in its design, without forgetting the autonomy. Yes, just the usual values of a Blackberry.
- Construction and quality materials: robust and resistant.
- The cursor on the keyboard is very comfortable in “timeline” type apps.
- The autonomy: very good management of consumption, reaching two days of autonomy in some cases.
- It is not ergonomic and typing with the physical keyboard soon tires when you have to curl your fingers and hold the terminal.
- It’s heavy.
- The sound is mediocre.